Thursday, May 30, 2013

Oh Christopher...


    We are using The Story of the World for history and geography.  We started with Ancient times and are learning chronologically towards the present day.  I enjoy this, but I was troubled when my oldest said that she did not know who Christopher Columbus was.  How could this be??  She's had many years of public and homeschooling.  
    Anyway, I decided to do a unit study on Columbus.  It was a lot of fun.  We got information from a couple different library books, the internet and watched 2 movies on him.  I only remember learning good things about Columbus...
My kids asked me why we honor him when he has done so many awful things.  
     Positives~material provided vocab words, map work by charting his voyages, a topic for them to journal about so they won't ask ME what they should write about:)



     We went back to our normal studies.  Knights and Samurai.  My kids love history because of the enrichment activities we do.  We got a How to Draw Castles and a How to Draw Fighting Figures from the library.  They worked really hard on their drawings.  I created a test for them to take to let me know if they are retaining information.  We usually do oral tests but I've been doing more written tests lately.  
     This chapter gave us a lot of vocab words such as chivalry, orphan, feudal system, page, squire, ect...  Fun stuff.  I'd like them to see an edited version of A Knight's Tale:)



     

1 comment: