Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Harrison's torticollis




Thought I'd do an update on Harrison's torticollis. For those of you who don't know what torticollis is~Torticollis is a twisted neck in which the head is tipped to one side, while the chin is turned to the other.

We've been going to physical therapy for 8-9 months now. We've had to stretch his neck and do passive exercises with him 5-7 times a day. He also has a 'collar' that he has to wear 4 hours a day. It's been a big pain. Harrison is so strong and stubborn. His doctor has told me several times that Harrison is one of the toughest kids he's worked with. He has fallen into the 5% category where therapy isn't working. I'm taking Harrison tomorrow to meet with another doctor who will give Harrison botox in his neck. (They aren't giving him the injections tomorrow...this is just our first appointment with this dr.) They'll have to knock him out to give him the botox injection. I'm sad about this.
So, after the injections, we'll still have to do physical therapy, stretches and exercises. I know that Harrison's strength helped him come into this world, but right now his strength/stubborness is frustrating!
He's such a sweet, fun boy. I'm so glad he is a part of our family.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Jen. I had no idea you guys were going through this. Harrison isn't the only one with lots of strength in your fam!! :) Love you! Hand in there, chica. You are doing an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "hang" in there. But, keep your hands in, too, I guess! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, Ihad know idea about Harrison. WOW! We will always add him in our prayers now. I read your blog and I thought I was busy. You mentioned a paper route and it brought back memories of when I did my two. You guys are amazing! Tacee

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will all turn out ok Jen. Hammy is tough. Even if it isn't corrected 100% he still has a future if he hangs out with these guys:

    http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/Roxbury.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's rough Jen! He is such a cutie!! I miss seeing your kids.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete